Quick and easy to make, and the tacos taste much better than fast food. You can adjust the spices to your liking, if necessary, and top with your favorite garnishes, such as cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream, etc. Enjoy!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato sauce (I use Hunt’s)
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 8 taco shells
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until simmering.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the ground beef.
- Cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar.
- Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Divide the filling evenly among taco shells and serve, passing any desired accompaniments separately.
If you like hamburgers and want a little variation with some kick, fried lamb burgers are for you. The lamb is very tender and the spices really flatter the meat. You can serve this on pita, a bun, or as I prefer, on a kaiser or sourdough roll.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped parsley(without stems)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
In a medium bowl, combine flour, parsley, spices, onion, salt, and pepper. Add meat with a wooden spoon or hands and begin to mix together.
In a small bowl beat the eggs, and then add to meat and spice mixture. Mix together. Form into patties.
In a skillet or frying pan, pour in oil and bring heat to a medium high. Cook each patty for about 1-4 minutes each side until golden brown and crispy.
Serve with or without bun and bread.
- 4 bananas, peeled, cut into chunks, and frozen
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa or similar, like 2 packets The Daily Good Greens Chocolate
- a few tablespoons of water
- 1 chocolate bar, such as SuperFoods Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- peanut butter and sea salt for topping
- Let the bananas soften for a while at room temperature or in the microwave. You don’t want them to be rock hard because they’ll take a toll on your food processor or blender, but you don’t want them to be soft because you’ll get more of a smoothie texture. They should be frozen but starting to soften on the outside.
- Pulse the bananas in a food processor until smooth. This is a heavy duty task – a blender can do it, but it’s going to need some help (a few stirs here and there) to move through the blender smoothly.
- Dissolve the cocoa in the water to allow it to incorporate into the ice cream better. Add the chocolate paste to the food processor and puree again until incorporated.
- Stir in the chocolate bits and anything else you might like – vanilla, sea salt, etc. Serve topped with drizzled peanut butter!
Makes: 8 servings, about 1 cup each
- 1/4 cup loose Earl Grey tea, or 12 Earl Grey tea bags
- Peel of 1 orange, plus orange wedges for garnish
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups cold water
- Steep loose tea (or tea bags) and orange peel in boiling water for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea (or remove tea bags and orange peel) and pour into a large pitcher. Stir in orange juice and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add cold water. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours. Serve over ice with orange wedges, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 35 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 67 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other)
MAKES 12 Cups | ACTIVE TIME 25 Min | TOTAL TIME 25 Min
12 mandarin oranges, divided (for dressing and salad)
2 cup strawberries, sliced
1 pineapple, cut into bite size chunks
5 kiwi, sliced
3 mangoes, cut into bite size chunks
Citrus Poppy Seed Dressing
1 medium lemon
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon Gourmet Garden Ginger Paste or fresh grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
Wash and dry lemon, lime and 2 mandarin oranges. Zest the washed and dried citrus with a zester or fine grater. Add to 1 cup measuring cup or small bowl. Cut each in half and squeeze the juice into the measuring cup. (You should get about 1/2 cup juice). Add honey, ginger and poppy seeds to juice mixture and whisk until combined. Set aside or place in the refrigerator if serving later.
Prepare remaining fruit. Slice strawberries and kiwi. Section remaining oranges. Cut pineapple and mango into bite size chunks. Place fruit in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top of fruit about 30 minutes before serving. Gently toss to coat. Serve and enjoy!
COOK’S NOTE: This fruit salad is fabulous with whatever you have on hand. I love carambola (star fruit) and papaya in this salad as well. Bananas are lovely, but have to be added at the last minute or they will get soft and not look pretty.
A culinary education won’t only offer you the opportunity to do something you love, it will also allow to live a cultured, exciting, well rounded life that will be filled with adventures. The world of food in and of itself is an adventure, because it will lead you across the world sampling rare ingredients and lost recipes. There are also a number of other reasons why you want to get your culinary degree. For instance, it will be a lot tougher to land a position in a kitchen if you don’t have your degree. Restaurant kitchens are looking for individuals who cut their teeth in professional and accredited cooking schools. Here are five reasons to consider attending culinary school.
- Practice Your Passion
Of course, if you have a passion for food, you have the biggest reason to attend culinary school. If you are simply looking for a job to make some extra money, the culinary field may not be for you. Sure, you can train yourself to love cooking, but if you don’t have a passion, you won’t cut it – this is especially the case when you are in school.
- Travel All Over the World
When you are in culinary school, you have the perfect excuse to travel all over the world. When you graduate, your job may to be travel the world. If you have always wanted to travel, this should be reason enough to want to go to culinary school. As part of your curriculum, you may go on long distance class tours of restaurants in various countries – from Paris to Shanghai. Having a well-roundededucation in the culinary field will be immensely beneficial when you are sending in your resume.
- Collaborate with Others Who Have Similar Interests
In cooking school, you will be able to work with a lot of other students. Most of the time, you will be collaborating on recipes. This can really prepare you for the real world, because when you are in a kitchen, you will be with five to six other people – all crowded into one area. It will sort of be the same in school, which will help prepare you for how it really is.
- Be Your Own Boss
Another reason why you want to go to culinary school is so that you can eventually become your own boss. If you want to run your own restaurant after college, you will need your degree. You may also want to go to NEC Online or UCLA and get your management degree. If you really want to be your own boss, you will need to learn how to not only manage other people, but also yourself.
- Eat Lots of Delicious Food
On top of everything, entering the culinary world will allow you to eat – a lot. Every night, you may be eating another big dish with lots of amazing ingredients. If you work at a restaurant, you may be taste testing, or you might be practicing with your own dishes. In the end, when you are in culinary school, you will also be doing a lot of taste testing.
There are all kinds of reality TV shows out these days that involve cooking and they have inspired a real passion for the culinary arts in a lot of people. If you really love cooking and you think that you would enjoy cooking for others as a career option, then you probably should consider going to culinary school. However, you want to make sure that you really know what it’s all about before you assume that it’s the right field for you. Here’s what you need to know if you are considering culinary school.
You Need to Be Serious About Cooking
There are some people who enjoy cooking and are content to eat the same simple meals all the time. Then there is the type of person who is always discovering different ways to improve recipes and takes a lot of pride in creating new recipes. These are the people who have a passion for the culinary arts. If you don’t have a genuine curiosity for cooking and you’re not thinking about food all the time, then a culinary education is not in the cards for you.
You Need to Have a Good Memory
When you are learning how to cook, you have to realize that all of your recipes have been perfected to a science. If you are not good with remembering measurements, temperatures, cooking times or the order of your operations, then you are going to destroy your meal. Things move very quickly in the kitchen, leaving very little time for reading recipes. You have to know what you’re doing and you need to keep track of it all.
You Can Learn to Make Anything
Everyone has a favorite food that they wish they could make themselves. Only, when you are a student in the culinary arts, you can learn to cook anything. You will be able to make delicious meals on a regular basis, and if you really love food, then there’s almost nothing more important than that. What’s even better is that once you get really good at cooking, you will be able to improve on all the classic recipes and make everything exactly to your liking.
The Program You Choose Makes All the Difference
The job opportunities and the experience you will get after graduation depends a lot upon where you earn your degree. You will have a much different culinary education if you study at Maryville University than you would at UC Davis, so you want to make sure you know what you’re looking for. You should do a lot of research on the different programs available to you and what their alumni went on to do before you choose a school.
You Need to Master Skills Before You Can Improvise
If you’re the type of person who likes to go with the flow and just improvise all the time, then you’re going to have to learn how to get more structured when you’re in the kitchen. You can only start playing with the rules once you’ve mastered those skills. If you try to play around too soon you are only going to make a mess. So make sure you are ready to study very hard.
Solace sustenance dependence is portrayed with these qualities. Sustenance items that have an abnormal state of sugar, fat and salt and different chemicals that have been process together to upgrades and enhance flavors will above typical nourishment levels. Do to the strangely elevated amounts of sugar, fat and salt and different chemicals the body changes its science to adjust to the effects of processing these sustenances which has the effect of physically changing persons science. Once the bodies science has changed which influences enthusiastic and mental relationship to eating solace sustenance and unwinding through rehashed eating solace nourishment for through fortification of conduct with solace nourishment the psyche figures out how to unwind before it even begins to eat your solace nourishment and that experience shapes mental dependent connection and conduct.
The way comfort nourishment influences unwinding is by diminishing vitality inside the body, that is made by the effect of changing ones science and the psyche distinguish substance change as unwinding. Any fixation is brain or mental state, body stress in shoulders and strain in body and soul vitality power between the psyche and body which is being upheld by their breathing example that bolster habit. It is the communication of every one of the three that must be location to change persons urgent conduct. The force of individual soul to influence their enthusiastic, physical and happiness reality must be produced and joined else you battle your compulsion yet don’t change your habit. The capacity to upgrades ones individual soul power is specifically associated with the force of center/relaxing for keeping in mind the end goal to do it at the most elevated amount the entire middle is occupied with every breath and the psyche is (cognizant is not thinking but rather feeling activity which gives you a chance to think with feeling of feeling the body) of the experience amid the breath. Clarity here for breath and soul are associated for its power inside and being express with each breathe out.
After some time the brain and body will alter its feeling of taste to manage solace sustenances over dynamic taste which has the effect of desensitizing the tong and mouth to point that a man will think that its difficult to taste whatever else other then process nourishments. In view of modified taste a man will persistently pick process nourishments over different sustenances since it’s the main time they can taste their nourishment. Different sustenances that have not been procedure will appear to be vapid in this manner not agreeable to eat. It requires investment to recuperate taste once individual quit eating solace sustenance.
There is careless eating to expending solace sustenance for taste is not the issue but rather making a substance affect enthusiastic loose state is. The nourishment is expended as a man is thinking candidly and being an alone. At that point there are the times being with other individuals at gatherings and expending solace nourishments, with its high taste of salt, sugar and fat. One of the greatest times to eat solace sustenance is amid amusement like viewing T.V. The brains center is not on the eating of sustenance but rather in conjunction of doing different things inwardly. Solace sustenances get to be unwinding enlightening to escape into excitement while individual is thoughtlessly eating to make an unwind mind state. You’re making a passionate reality around your solace nourishments that drives the eating so the enthusiastic enlightening knowledge can be reproduced. Since eating is an enthusiastic physical ordeal conduct that has been scholarly, a man can supplant the old with a more dynamic affair around sustenance and candidly adjust their needs with necessities by discovering thoughts and strategies inside over all technique they make with their association with nourishment. Here is principle of life “a man is more prominent then the some of their conduct”, for individuals have their soul to work from to make a change in the event that they take advantage of it with its constrain that is a positive cognizant power.
Over eating solace sustenance as your reasoning or being entertained is normal conduct and your 35 pounds or more over weight, your dependent on the synthetic passionate change that happens when you eat your decision of solace nourishments. To change habit individual needs to assemble their own system that influences them by and by, candidly and physically, to be powerful over the long haul. Finding a system that works for you is just the starting part to change your dependence for its the initial segment. To recuperate from addictive conduct and musings that drive a man, they need to change their enthusiastic physical vitality cooperation between the brain and body. There is fleeting addition and long haul influences yet to be the most full of feeling a man needs to make their own system in side them self to change their passionate reality into one that advance inspirational disposition with delight of doing things. Once your dependent your mentality is revolved around the feelings associated with your enslavement and there can not be passionate change in individual life. Compulsion holds your enthusiastic reality and your time in one spot by influencing your innovative otherworldly to build up your feelings after some time and being impermanence. Fixation anticipates changing and building up an inventive scope of feeling about existence and the imaginative power of being otherworldly being inside what you’re accomplishing for happiness.
Building up your system to change your dietary patterns, there must be a strategy that influences your passionate, physical interrelationship reality around nourishment. Eating is a passionate occasion, simply take a gander at all the faculties that are locked in when individual is working with nourishment so the inquiries is the thing that sort of feelings inside the occasion of eating does a man need to make when they are with sustenance and eating? Individuals make an occasion with solace nourishments and its straightforward yet exceptionally tactile for its eaten with your hands or licking with your tong. Case can be seen with cake there are two approaches to eat it. One route is on plate and will arranged and the other is lift it up and having the sentiment the sustenance in your grasp and place it in your mouth. Utilization of the hands is effective enthusiastic association with solace nourishment. Here is test of enthusiastic association of how you eat your nourishment influencing passionate feeling to the sustenance. In the event that you utilize your hands to eat your solace nourishment, now put it on plate and utilize fork to eat it and hold up moment between every nibble and see what sort of feelings is made identifying with your solace sustenance that way. Individuals make enthusiastic qualities around nourishment so eating is simply not basic, so the inquiry is the thing that does individual need to make sincerely inside sustenance.
Here are proposals to change the passionate experience relationship in eating solace sustenances, don’t utilize your hands yet serve it on plate and utilize fork. To change dependence on solace nourishment is base on enthusiastic behavioral propensities being diverted into and finding different practices to expend comfort so you don’t rehash the same conduct, the objective is stop repeatable conduct to solace sustenance so eating it distinctively every time. Make every time eating solace sustenance distinctive so the cerebrum needs to take a gander at the nourishment and acknowledge what it is doing. Propensity is repeatable conduct so changing the way individual eats solace sustenances does not give the mind a chance to wind up sincerely associated with the nourishment, that resemble the addictive enthusiastic state for the individual needs to change the passionate association with solace nourishments. Changing passionate examples with solace nourishments disturbs the psyches enthusiastic association with the sustenance. The objective here is little conduct design change constrain the brain to be aware of its activity and genuine choice can be made to eat it or the amount to eat and understand the essence of the sustenances. Changing examples of musings and conduct on how you eat solace sustenances breaks enthusiastic examples conduct to what you’re eating. when you eating solace nourishment distinctively every time you eat it to changes the influences candidly so it doesn’t give the old enthusiastic example a chance to raise the addictive passionate state.
Passionate change is trying inside the battle of managing solace sustenance compulsion and being over weight. It begins with information of what passionate relationship to sustenances you need to make when eating and learning of nourishments influence on the body to start. In any case, how to change and how you change your passionate conduct matters to eating, to make the most emotional technique while changing fixation individual needs to have clear thought regarding sustenances, its capacity and how to stage occasions inside with nourishment that promoter happiness with nourishment.
To change enslavement which is physical repeatable conduct with parcel of feelings that influences individual enthusiastic state, which the compulsion changing anxiety in shoulders and pressure in body with the effect of being casual with one self as well as other people. In this system to change addictive solace sustenance eating, you begin off physical then go to mental then back to physical for their is on going communication amongst psyche and body however its relationship is base on vitality stream that influences body feeling and brain passionate musings. The beginning is with the force of center breathing activity. Presently there are numerous approaches to work the center breathing to influence vitality and passionate feeling association amongst psyche and body for there is one path as well as a man needs to locate the most full of feeling way that impacts their vitality feeling stream amongst brain and body that makes smoothness and it can change with every dinner. In this program the breath and center is seen as an impression of ones enthusiastic reality in circumstance of life for it bolsters your passionate reality. You’re breathing example or how you make your breathing inside the middle influences your vitality, and capacity to feel and physical quality. So beginning your change with the force of center breathing is to bring your brain (care) into your physical body and not into passionate reflections. This project is about making decisions for a man by influencing your center breathing relations that give individual capacity to make tranquility between the psyche and body so individual can divert their mental center and enthusiastic vitality into a reason that advantages them the
Do you pick canned sustenance or dry nourishment? What brand? There are such a variety of various brands, all shapes and sizes of pet nourishment to browse and pet proprietors are furnished with next to no data to construct your choices in light of (other than publicizing) – it can get so befuddling! All things considered, clasp your safety belt contingent upon the amount you know of the pet sustenance industry, this could be an uneven ride! You are going to learn seven insider facts – well kept mysteries – of pet sustenance. Sit back, prepare yourself, and continue perusing.
Beneful says it’s ‘Premium Dog Food for a Happy, Healthy Dog’ and offers for around $18.00 for a 31 lb. pack, Science Diet “guarantees” ‘absolutely adjusted nourishment through constant examination and the most noteworthy quality sustenance upheld by your Vets support’ and offers for around $21.00 for just a 20 lb sack. At that point there are various pet sustenances that put forth the extremely same expressions – ‘Premium Dog Food, Highest Quality’ – that offer for $30.00 or more for a 20 lb sack. Also, the same remains constant for feline owners…Do you pick Whiskas that states ‘All that we do is about making felines glad!’ or do you pick one of those top of the line feline sustenances that make the extremely same case of a cheerful, solid feline however cost 3 times as much?
Presently with the on-going pet sustenance review pet proprietors have inquiries, for example, ‘Has this nourishment been reviewed?’ or ‘Is this nourishment the following one to be recalled?’…’Is my pet safe?’ Wow this is befuddling! Furthermore, alarming as well! What precisely is a pet proprietor to do? What about realizing a couple of insider facts! Outfitted with the learning of a couple of privileged insights of pet nourishment, it’s not almost as confounding.
Every single pet nourishment use distinct words like decision and premium, however few of them really utilize premium or decision fixings in their sustenance. The “mystery” is that per the guidelines of the pet nourishment industry, no pet sustenance can make any cases or references on their name or promoting with regards to the quality or evaluation of fixings. “Premium” when it’s identified with pet sustenance DOES NOT imply that the fixings in the nourishment are premium. With pet sustenances, premium does not (can not) portray the nourishment nor does it (would it be able to) depict the nature of the sustenance. It is an advertising term and that is all. Per the pet sustenance commercial enterprises own guidelines and directions, “There are no references to fixing quality or evaluation” (control PF5 d 3). Along these lines, words like premium, or decision, or quality are simply advertising or deals terms. They ought not be deciphered as terms portraying the nature of the sustenance.
Presently why wouldn’t a pet sustenance mark be permitted to tell a forthcoming client the nature of their fixings? Doesn’t a pet proprietor should know what they are purchasing? This leads me to the following mystery…
In the event that I can think about “individuals” sustenance to pet nourishment for only a second, we as a whole know there are diverse characteristics of individuals nourishment. There is White Castle (I’m liable here, I adore the little folks!) and there is Outback Steak House (another top pick). Both eateries serve meat and potatoes. At White Castle for under $3.00 you can get several ground sirloin sandwiches and a request of fries. While at Outback you can get a steak and prepared potato for around $16.00. Both serve meat and potato – yet you as of now understand that there are gigantic nutritious contrasts between a fast food ground sirloin sandwich and a steak…right?
The issue in the pet nourishment industry – is that most pet proprietors don’t think in the same terms with regards to pet sustenance. They don’t think in wording that there are fast food sorts of pet sustenances and there are semi-formal eatery more nutritious sorts of pet nourishments. Indeed, quite a while back a young fellow attempted this very explore different avenues regarding his own eating regimen – eating only fast food for 30 days. In only one month of eating fast food three dinners a day, he put on a lot of weight, circulatory strain and cholesterol levels soar. Presently, envision your pet eating this sort of nourishment its whole lifetime.
Alright, so back to our two meals…if a concoction examination of your feast at White Castle was contrasted with a compound investigation of your dinner at Outback – both would break down with a rate of protein, sugars, and fat. In any case whether you consider a steak at Outback a higher nature of protein than the burger – it would at present break down as protein. The investigation doesn’t gauge nature of protein.
So here is the secret…All pet sustenances accompany a Guaranteed Analysis expressing the rate of protein, fat, fiber and dampness in the nourishment. The REAL mystery lies in the nature of the rates of protein, fat, etc.
In a synthetic investigation of a pet nourishment – chicken feet would dissect as protein, albeit conceded it gives almost no sustenance. What’s more, too, a bovine that was euthanized (put to rest) as a result of an ailment that made it unfit for human utilization – would examine as protein in spite of the fact that that could be viewed as unsafe for utilization. Both of those things – chicken feet and an euthanized dairy animals – are admissible fixings and ordinarily utilized as a part of pet nourishment. You see the mystery inside the pet nourishment industry is producers have a WIDE OPEN way to where they get their fixings. The main strict principle they should take after is a grown-up pooch nourishment must break down with 18% protein and a grown-up feline sustenance must investigate with 26% protein. Sources to get those specific rates range from a ‘human evaluation’ meat, to chicken feet, to euthanized creatures, to grain proteins, to try and man made compound proteins and numerous varieties in the middle.
Pet nourishment marks don’t need to tell – are not permitted to tell – the sources they use to acquire that required 18% or 26% protein. Furthermore, to make matters worse…quality minded pet sustenance makers – the organizations that utilization 100% human evaluation fixings – are not permitted to tell clients or potential clients that their items are quality, human evaluation fixings.
So by what method would you be able to know whether your pet’s nourishment utilizes chicken feet or euthanized dairy animals or on the off chance that it contains human evaluation fixings?
On the off chance that the words premium and decision mean fundamentally nothing as to the nature of pet nourishment, and on the off chance that some pet sustenances use chicken feet and euthanized creatures in their nourishment – by what means can a pet proprietor know what they are getting in their pets’ sustenance?
This enormous mystery is found in fixing definitions. Not at all like “individuals” nourishment where you can practically take a gander at the sustenance to decide the quality, pet nourishment is far various. All “individuals” nourishment must meet specific USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) and FDA (Food and Drug Administration) rules. The same is not valid for pet nourishment. Chicken feet and euthanized cows are NOT permitted in individuals nourishment for evident reasons – they have no nutritious quality or they could be perilous to devour. The same is NOT valid for pet nourishment. The best way to know whether those chicken feet or euthanized cows are in your pet’s nourishment is to realize what fixings they can be utilized as a part of.
The regular pet nourishment fixing ‘Meat and Bone Meal’ is essentially a mix of a wide range of disposed of left-overs from the human sustenance industry. Parts of ‘meat and bone supper’ can be anything from bovine heads, stomachs, and insides, to (appalling yet genuine) euthanized creatures including dairy animals, steeds and pooches and felines from veterinarian workplaces, creature safe houses, and homesteads. What’s more, alongside those euthanized creatures the pet sustenance likewise contains the medication pentabarbitol that was utilized to euthanize the creature. ‘Meat and bone feast’ can likewise contain left-over eatery oil, and sick (counting dangerous) meat tissues remove from butchered creatures. As such, this regularly utilized fixing is a blend of very second rate and possibly risky left-overs from the human sustenance industry.
The pet nourishment fixing ‘Meat By-Product’ or ‘Meat By-Product Meal’ is practically the same thing as ‘meat and bone dinner’. It is an exceptionally second rate pet sustenance fixing containing truly who-comprehends what.
Another comparable fixing to the above is ‘Creature Digest’.
With regards to the chicken feet I said before – this thing can be found in the fixings ‘Chicken By-Product’ or ‘Poultry By-Product’ or ‘Chicken By-Product Meal’ or ‘Poultry By-Product Meal’. Any left-overs in the chicken or poultry division – including yet not constrained to chicken feet, skin including a few plumes, chicken or poultry heads, and guts are found in these fixings. It doesn’t make a difference with regards to the wellbeing of the fowl – debilitated, solid, dead, dying…all is incorporated into these fixings.
So here is the thing that you have to do…BEFORE you buy any pet sustenance, flip the sack over and nearly analyze the rundown of fixings. The aforementioned fixings would be recorded inside the initial five or ten fixings. In the event that you see ANY of those fixings – it is my proposal to NOT buy that nourishment. Keep in mind – chicken feet and euthanized creatures do dissect as protein. That is all that is required in pet nourishment – simply the right investigation.
Another little deceive some pet sustenance makers use in this classification is utilizing grains and synthetic added substances to grain items to support the protein rates. Which is precisely the reason for the pet nourishment review that started in March 2007 – synthetic proteins. Two distinctive concoction added substances – that have NO wholesome worth to pets, however that examined as protein – were added to a grain item (wheat gluten, corn gluten, or rice gluten) exclusively to give a shoddy protein. A large number of pets kicked the bucket and endless others turned out to be sick in light of the fact that nobody depended on the issue of the mix of these two chemicals would bring about kidney and urinary blockage. Once more, their mystery is the item needs to break down as having a specific measure of protein – nobody is required to give a quality meat protein.
While you are taking a gander at the fixing posting – you ought to likewise observe what number of grains (corn, wheat, rice) and/or what number of grain items (corn gluten, entire corn, ground corn, entire wheat, ground wheat, wheat gluten, rice, chestnut rice, brewers rice, soy, without any end in sight) are recorded w
Over the last decade catering has become one of the fastest-growing industries. This seems to be partly as a result of popular television series such as Masterchef and the Great British Bake Off and partly due to an increase in the number of organisations employing outside catering companies to prepare food for events.
Running a catering company is hard work and requires a strong personality as well as the obvious flair for cooking. However, if long hours and working closely with clients appeals, this could be the perfect business start up for you.
Running a catering company means long hours and, depending upon the type of events you decide to service, you may be up at the crack of dawn and working late into the night. During peak seasons, this could be six or even seven days a week.
The average evening event would typically require an 8.00am start. Alongside food preparation, you will be organising stock, sorting out equipment, accepting deliveries, keeping up with emails and phone calls and undertaking marketing tasks, including maintaining a social media presence. Event start times will vary, but preparation on site will usually begin around 5.00pm for a 7.00pm or 8.00pm event. Once everything is in hand and the event under way, it will be important to ensure you make a good impression as the face of your company. Events are a great place to meet potential new clients. The clean-up afterwards is as important as preparing and serving amazing food. Leave a fantastic impression and your business will benefit from word-of-mouth recommendations.
Morning or all-day events will obviously run to a different time scale.
Before deciding on a location for your catering company, or the type of events you will service, carry out some market research. Look around at other local companies offering a similar service to decide if there is room in the market for your business too or whether you need to consider moving location or changing your speciality.
Running a catering company doesn’t necessarily mean immediately having to hire premises to work in. Your own kitchen should suffice at first. However, it may be necessary to invest in commercial chest freezers, such as those available at Fridge Freezer Direct, to keep food in.
Once business starts to increase, it may become necessary to move to a professional kitchen.
It is not necessarily important to have lots of qualifications in order to start up a catering company. However, running a business can be complicated, so enlisting the help and advice of accountants and other business experts is a good idea. Lots of information can be found online. You will, of course, be required by law to have food hygiene and health and safety training and comply with food hygiene regulations.
When you first start, it may be possible to run your catering business with minimal staff. However, once things get busier, it will be important to have a team of reliable employees. Hiring staff on a full-time basis will probably not be the most cost-effective solution. Instead, look into more temporary options, such as contracting from staffing agencies or using self-employed personnel.
Prune juice is a sweet, fruit juice made from pitted and squeezed prunes. It is known for its laxative effects and often drunk during cleanses. People find it easier to go to the bathroom after drinking prune juice or eating whole prunes and, as such, this type of juice is commonly used to prevent bloating and constipation. While prune juice is often considered a weight loss tool, it is incorrect to say one can safely lose weight simply by drinking prune juice. However, prune juice can be used as part of a healthy weight loss technique.
Incorporate more exercise into your day. The key ingredient to weight loss is the burning of calories, which is most quickly achieved when you exercise. Try to exercise one hour a day. This can be as simple as two 30-minute walks, obtaining a gym membership or joining a sports team.
Purchase a brand of prune juice that has a flavor you enjoy. Prune juice is an acquired taste, so it’s important that you can stomach it. Ensure the prune juice you purchase is 100 percent juice and does not have any sugar added. Some prune juice cocktails will have another kind of fruit juice added, which is fine. The key is to avoid refined sugar intake.
Eliminate refined sugars, such as candy, cake, ice cream and soft drinks, from your diet. These products are known to drastically increase your caloric intake and cause you to gain weight. When you have a craving for something sweet, drink a glass of prune juice. One cup of prune juice contains 182 calories, which is far fewer than a soft drink. Best of all, the calories in prune juice come from the sweetness in the fruit itself, not from an added sugar source. Remember that while prune juice is far healthier than sugary alternatives, five glasses a day gives you nearly 1,000 calories. Try to drink the juice only when you feel you’d like a sweet snack.
Eliminate high-fat foods, such as French fries, donuts and potato chips, from your diet. Like high-sugar foods, foods high in saturated fat are a chief culprit of weight gain. Removing them from your diet will allow you to eat healthier foods, including fruits, vegetables, grains and fish.
Use the washroom frequently. Because prune juice contains a natural laxative, you may find you’re making further trips to the bathroom. This is a good thing if you’re losing weight, because more bathroom visits will result in a healthier intestinal system with less bloating.
Recipes vary but one thing remains consistent when it comes to a homemade banana pudding: no dark bananas. Creamy, yellowish white custard, dotted with dark brown banana slices or chunks can be a visual turnoff, making even the best-tasting banana puddings unappealing. A few extra steps prior to preparation helps to keep your bananas from turning brown before, during and after serving up your prized banana pudding special.
- Despite the lack of appeal, dark, brown bananas in a pudding do not indicate that the bananas or the pudding is unsafe to eat. The browning is nothing more than a chemical reaction known as enzymatic browning. The reaction occurs when enzymes in cut bananas encounter the oxygen in the air. This union creates melanin — a natural pigment — responsible for the brown color. The longer the air exposure, the more prominent the browning.
- Completely coat the bananas with the custard when preparing the pudding. The pudding coating acts as a barrier between the bananas and the oxygen in the air staving off enzymatic browning. If you are preparing a layered banana pudding, place the bananas on top of the wafers and cover with a layer of pudding. Repeat the process for each layer, ensuring that the final layer is pudding to shield the bananas from oxygen.
- The ideal time to make banana pudding is right before it is time to eat it. Otherwise, any leftovers require refrigeration because pudding is a perishable. The coolness of the refrigerator tends to turn bananas dark, so if you do not plan to eat the banana pudding right away, toss the sliced bananas in a few tablespoons of lemon juice before you add them to prevent browning during storage. If your pudding calls for mash, mash the lemon juice right into the bananas.
Ripe and Ready
- Resist the urge to prepare your banana pudding with unripe bananas in hopes of prolonging browning. The bananas should be ripe but not over-ripe. Ripe bananas are soft but not mushy with brown speckles on the skin. If your bananas are ripe but you are not yet ready to make the pudding, prepare the banana and lemon juice mash, place it in an airtight container and freeze.
Fruit-flavored gelatin desserts are a longtime childhood favorite, with their crystalline colors and kid-pleasing wobbly texture. They’re mom-friendly as well, with a quick and easy preparation method that requires little time and generates few dirty dishes. Their only real shortcoming is that the flavor and color come largely from “mystery” ingredients, with little nutritional value. Making your own fruit gelatin from scratch sidesteps this problem, combining unflavored gelatin with real fruit juice for a simple, healthful dessert or snack.
Using Fresh JuiceSweeten the mixture lightly with fine sugar, agave, honey or other sweeteners, if the juice you’ve selected is tart. If it’s sweet, add a splash of lemon or lime juice to brighten its flavor. Continue stirring until your sweetening or acidifying ingredient is also well-mixed.
- Fruit paintings, photographs and wallpaper are easy options for fruit decorations. Depending on the image and the frame, fruit photos and paintings can grace an austere hallway, with the close-up of a cherry framed in silver, to the frivolous foyer, with an apple orchard depicted in a large, clear poster frame. Fruit wallpaper can range from busy red apple or cherry patterns to vintage pineapples toned down in dark gold, light brown and army green. Folks can also choose from a fine array of fruit themed place mats, throw rugs, sheets and bedding, as well as fruit lampshades, lamps and tablecloths.
- Plastic, rubber and other realistic fruit figurines have been gracing homes for ages. Some fruit figurines may try to appear as closely as possible to the real thing, featuring lifelike leaves, soft, rubber grapes and a textured outer coating on an orange. Some of these figurines look so realistic that guests may try to eat them, or at least pinch them to see if they are real. Glass bead grapes and blown glass apples are another option. Still other fruit figurines can be adorned with silly faces or other features that ensure guests know they are not looking at the real thing.
- Wooden bowls in the shape of fruit are another way to deck the home with fruity styles. Apples, a bunch of grapes, pineapples and bananas work best because of their telltale shapes, whereas an orange may simply resemble a circle. The wooden fruit-shape bowls can do double duty by serving as an actual bowl that holds fruit, giving a healthy snack a whimsical touch. The grape and apple bowls should have a stem at the top to make what it is obvious.
- Fruit shapes make for unique and delicious-looking holiday ornaments in a number of ways. Red and green apples, in glass or another lightweight material, can be embellished with silver or gold trim and hooked on to a Christmas tree. The holiday colors are already apparent with the red and green. Lightweight, hollow plastic fruit pieces can also be strung together with a clear thread to make fruit garland. This works especially well with smaller fruit, such as grapes and miniature apples or oranges. The garland can be embellished further by stringing colorful beads or sequins in between the pieces of fruit.
- A bowl of fruit salad can be transformed into delightful décor for parties or a special meal. People can cut melon, pineapple and apple slabs into interesting shapes, such as stars, hearts, moons, suns and flowers. The pieces should be at least 1/2 inch thick and large enough to hold their shape. They can be arranged in a fancy glass bowl. They may also be pierced through the bottom with a bamboo skewer and propped up in a small glass or vase at each place setting. Halved cherries and cut strawberry pieces work well as flower centers, eyes and other small embellishments secured on the main design with a toothpick.
- Place your thawed raspberries, powdered sugar and lemon juice into a blender. Puree the contents until they are smooth and the frozen chunks are absorbed.
- Strain your raspberry mixture from the blender into a bowl. Keep the seeds and other fruit flesh out of the bowl.
- Evaluate the consistency of your raspberry coulis with a whisk. If it appears to be too runny, thicken the sauce by whisking in more powdered sugar. Add a little bit of powdered sugar – one tablespoon at a time. After each tablespoon that you add, whisk the mixture up and evaluate the new consistency until you come to a thickness that you like.
- Combine the water and sugar in the medium saucepan over low heat. Cook five to 10 minutes so the sugar dissolves.
- Increase the heat and allow the mixture to boil and bubble for about five to seven minutes. The sugar water will now turn a brown color as it caramelizes. Turn the heat back to low once the mixture reaches the desirable color, so that you do not risk burning the caramel.
- Slowly add the cream and vanilla extract to the caramel sauce in the pan. Mix it up.
- Add 1 tsp. of cornstarch to your caramel sauce at a time, whisking it each time you add some. Cornstarch is a thickening agent that will make your caramel sauce firmer and stickier. Continue adding the cornstarch until you reach a thickness you like. Also, keep in mind that as the caramel sauce cools, it will thicken a little. So you do not want to add too much cornstarch to the pot, or else it could make your sauce too thick and stiff.
2 13-ounce packages Oreo cookies
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 quarts vanilla ice cream
1 cup whipped cream or whipped topping
1/4 cup chocolate sauce or caramel sauce
Count out 6 Oreos and cut them in half with a sharp knife, making 12 well-shaped half moons. Set these aside for garnish. If a cookie breaks when it’s cut, return it to the box and replace it with another.
Separate 45 of the remaining Oreos. Break up the cookies and place them in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the cookies to crumble them further, and then add the melted butter and process continuously until the cookies break down into an even mass of dense, moist crumbs. Depending on the size of your food processor, you might need to do this in two batches.
Grease a 10-inch springform pan, or line its bottom with parchment and grease the sides. Pour half of the butter-and-cookie mixture into the springform, and press it firmly into the bottom and bottom corners of the springform pan. This will form the bottom crust, or lower “wafer,” of the finished cake.
Refrigerate the crust for at least 30 minutes, or place it in the freezer for at least 10 minutes until it becomes firm. Remove the ice cream from your freezer at the same time, so it can soften on the counter at room temperature.
Chop the remaining Oreo cookies into coarse fragments, either by hand or by pulsing them in your food processor.
Place the paddle attachment on your stand mixer. Beat half of the ice cream at low speed until it reaches a soft-serve consistency, and then add half of the chopped cookies. Spoon the mixture onto the chilled Oreo crust in the springform pan, and repeat with the other half of the ice cream and chopped cookies. Spread the softened ice cream with a spatula to make a flat surface.
Chill the filled springform in your freezer for at least 30 minutes; this firms up its surface. Pour the other half of the crust mixture on top, spreading it evenly. Gently pat the crumbs into place, to make a smooth upper crust or top “wafer” for the cake.
Return the cake to your freezer for at least 1 hour, or up to several days, until it’s time to serve. If the cake is made more than 6 or 8 hours ahead of time, cover its surface with plastic film wrap to keep it from absorbing any “off” flavors from the freezer.
To serve, unmold the cake from its springform pan. Spoon or pipe the whipped cream into a mound in the middle of the cake, and arrange the twelve half-Oreos around the cream’s edge as a garnish. Drizzle the whiped cream and Oreo halves with chocolate or caramel sauce, and then slice and serve.
- Place a raw cut of beef into a plastic freezer bag large enough to contain the meat and a liquid marinade.
- Add an oil, an acidic liquid and seasonings to the bag, the essential components of a marinade. A sample marinade could contain equal parts of olive oil and vinegar with diced garlic, dried basil, salt and ground black pepper added for flavor. Use about 1/2 cup of marinade per pound of beef.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate the beef to marinate for 12 to 24 hours. Remove the beef from the bag and discard the marinade after the time has elapsed.
- Preheat a skillet to medium and coat it with a thin layer of olive oil. Place the marinated beef in the preheated skillet and sear all of the exposed surfaces for a few minutes. If you do not wish to sear the beef for the carpaccio, skip this step.
- Place the marinated beef into a clean plastic freezer bag and freeze it for an hour or two. The partial freezing makes the meat easier to cut into thin slices.
- Remove the meat from the freezer and take it out of the freezer bag. Use a sharp knife to cut the thinnest slices possible from the partially frozen meat.
- Cover a dinner plate with a single layer of beef slices — depending on the size of the cut of meat, this could require between two and 10 slices. Repeat this process for each serving of beef carpaccio you plan to make.
- Place leftover beef back in the freezer bag and store it in the freezer for later use.
- Top each plate of beef slices with grated hard cheese, leafy greens, seasonings and chopped vegetables of choice. Since carpaccio is traditionally served with a sauce, add a drizzle of salad dressing, wine or oil for flavor. A sample plate could use dandelion greens, sliced mushrooms, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar with a few fresh basil leaves. Alternately, use a creamy salad dressing such as Thousand Island instead of balsamic vinegar.
- Serve the beef carpaccio immediately.
Middle Eastern women are well-known for their exotic beauty and elegance. Among the famous Middle Eastern celebrities are reality TV star Kim Kardashian, who is half Armenian, and performer and TV personality Paula Abdul. Middle Eastern beauties can teach all women some time-tested Arab beauty tips, which can help women look young and exotic.
The right level of doneness for Wagyu depends on the quality of the steak. In general, the richer and fattier a Wagyu steak is, the more cooked it needs to be. This is because the intramuscular fat liquifies only after a certain temperature, and if not cooked enough, the fat will remain hard and undone, leading to a fatty-tasting steak rather than a rich, velvety one.
For a Wagyu steak that is around a level 9 in terms of intramuscular fat, cooking to medium-rare is acceptable. For richer Wagyu, the steak is best cooked to medium or, possibly, medium-rare. This allows for the fat to melt and season the meat.
While Wagyu can be cooked using any high-heat cooking method — from grilling to panfrying to broiling — the method most recommended is pan-searing, because it preserves the flavor of the steak without adding smoke or char, and it gives the home cook more control over doneness than broiling does.
To pan-sear a Wagyu steak:
Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until it is very hot.
Sprinkle the dry, seasoned skillet with a liberal amount of sea salt, covering the bottom of the entire pan. Use around 1 tablespoon of salt per 8-ounce steak.
Pat the steak dry with a paper towel, removing any excess liquid. Place the steak flat onto the skillet, and lower the heat to medium-high.
Flip the steak after 5 to 7 minutes, after a crust has formed on the bottom of the steak. Cook the other side for 3 to 5 minutes, until it is well browned and crusted. Flip the steak every 2 to 3 minutes after the second side has been browned.
Test for doneness using a quick-read thermometer. Remove the steak from the pan when the internal temperature reads 10 to 15 degrees lower than the desired degree of doneness. Let the steak rest, tented with foil, for 5 to 10 minutes before serving it. The steak’s internal temperature will continue to rise while resting, bringing it to the ideal degree of doneness.
Wagyu, because of its delicate beefiness and naturally rich flavor, needs little additional seasoning than salt. In Japan, wagyu is sometimes served with a very light soy sauce or a dressing of soy sauce and mirin, sweetened rice wine.
For a classic presentation, serve Wagyu as a whole steak or slice across the grain, in 1/4-inch cuts, and serve it with sea salt on the side.
Other Considerations and Information
Kobe vs. Wagyu
Wagyu is actually a collection of four breeds of cattle, all of which are originally from Japan. In the United States, Wagyu cattle are most often Red Wagyu or a crossbreed of Red and Black Wagyu cattle.
Kobe beef is a specific brand of steak. To be called Kobe, the beef can only come from Japanese producers from specific regions that produce it exclusively from Japanese Black Wagyu cattle. While all Wagyu beef is luxurious because it contains a high degree of fat marbling in the muscle, Kobe is considered the pinnacle, because of its rarity and high percentage of intramuscular fat.
Different Cuts of Wagyu
In Japan, Wagyu is sometimes served very thinly sliced, almost paper thin, in 1/16-inch cuts. The Wagyu is quickly dipped in boiling liquid for shabu shabu, and eaten when it is just barely cooked.
The thin slices can also be gently warmed and served still raw, dressed with nothing more than oil and Mirin to make an Asian-style carpaccio dish.
Hard To Scoop
- Ice cream needs to defrost a little before serving; attempting to scoop it before it has done so is tough, since the ice cream will be frozen and hardened. Ice cream preparation must therefore include around 15 minutes of defrosting time, as the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center website suggests, meaning the dessert can’t be served straight from storage.
Fat & Calories
- The nutritional content of ice cream can vary according to the brand, but also depending on the flavor and ingredients–for example, whether the ice cream contains chocolate chip pieces or not. Any ice cream is likely to contain a large amount of fat and calories, which can lead individuals to put on weight if they eat ice cream on a regular basis. According to the Louisiana State University Agricultural Center website, 48 percent of ice cream’s calories are derived from fat, while the Parent Dish website notes that even half a cup of ice cream can contain as much as 20 grams of fat.
- Ice cream is usually made from dairy products, and as such, can cause many of the ill effects associated with dairy product allergy. Those allergic to dairy foods may experience medical issues such as headaches, digestive problems or irritation of the skin after consuming ice cream. Since milk is a chief ingredient of ice cream, those vulnerable to lactose allergies should also be wary of eating this dessert, since lactose intolerance has been linked to bloating and nausea.
- As a dairy product, another negative associated with ice cream is that dairy farming is environmentally unfriendly. Dairy farming causes both soil and water pollution, and releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. The cows used in dairy farming need to be well-fed and watered, and cost resources which could otherwise be put into other things, such as feeding the poor.
- A common side-effect of eating ice cream is that it causes painful short-term headaches, often termed brain freeze colloquially. These headaches are brought about by the cold temperature of the dessert, as it makes contact with the nerves in the human palate after entering the mouth. These nerves react to the cold by making blood vessels in the head increase in size, thus triggering pain in the area.
- For centuries, Middle Eastern women have braided their hair in order to keep it healthy and out of their faces. Traditionally, many women in Middle Eastern countries have long hair; however, farm work or tending to family has required them to maintain practical hairstyles. The Middle Eastern climate is also very hot, and women in Mediterranean locations such as Turkey, or desert climates such as Egypt, often keep their hair tied back in head scarves. Women who identify with the Islamic religion wear hijab, or a head scarf. While Islam is the predominate religion in all of the Middle East, including countries with secular governments, certain places like Saudi Arabia, Iran and Iraq maintain stricter policies. However, the Islamic religious text, or Quran, has no specific law instructing women to wear hijab, and many women choose to wear hijab for personal reasons.
It is also traditional for men to sport long hair and beards. Much of this has to do with Islamic tradition and rules, and to this day it is common to see Middle Eastern men with elaborate facial hair. Men in arid desert landscapes such as Egypt also wear head scarves to protect their hair, scalp and neck from the harsh sun.
People maintained their hair by visiting local bath houses. Women with long hair often treated it with henna, a natural dye. Men shaved and doused hair with oils in order to keep its shine. Men and women with thick, wavy hair were often admired.
- While many Islamic women in Middle Eastern countries wear the hijab to cover their hair, recent generations of Muslim women are becoming more experimental with haircuts and hair dye. Youth or university students commonly sport shorter hairstyles than previous generations, and many young men choose not to have facial hair.
Some young women choose not to wear head scarves, and while this is generally accepted on a college campus or at a youth-oriented business, wearing a head scarf is still common for many middle-aged women. In more secular countries such as Turkey, a head scarf can be worn casually, with some of the hair visible at the crown of the head. In some stricter regions, such as Saudi Arabia, many women cover all of their hair and much of their faces as well.
Men who live in rural areas still grow facial hair, and women still dress conservatively and grow their hair long. In urban environments, rules are generally less strict, and both men and women can choose to have alternative, Westernized hairstyles.
Coloring hair is becoming more popular in the Middle East. Many Middle Easterners have naturally dark hair, especially in countries such as Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Israel. Turkish men and women may have lighter hair. Because dyeing darker hair is often more difficult, many people choose to embrace their natural color and to experiment instead with different haircuts.
- Many Middle Eastern holidays and traditions are very elaborate, and dressing and decorating one’s hair and body with extravagant clothes and hairstyles is customary. For a wedding ceremony, many women have their hair braided and laced with ribbons or jewels. Starting in the fourteenth century, men in high positions of religious leadership typically wore turbans; during the mid-Ottoman Empire, many wore fezzes to symbolize stature.
While some Middle Eastern countries strive to be secular, many still celebrate Islamic holidays and continue the tradition of weeklong wedding celebrations. That’s why it is customary for both men and women to maintain traditional long hair.
- Cut up fruit and make a fruit salad. If you want to make things a bit more interesting, add some simple syrup to the mix and toss to give it a sweeter and more homogenous flavor. Make syrup by boiling equal parts sugar and water.
- Mix the fruit with plain yogurt to make a “fruit on the bottom” yogurt snack. As a general rule, add 1/4 cup of fruit to each cup of yogurt to give the yogurt a nice texture without overwhelming it with fruit pieces.
- Make a smoothie. Place a cup of fruit, a handful of ice cubes, and half a cup of yogurt in a blender. This is a perfect idea if you want to drink your leftover fruit and have a cool snack in the summertime.
- Add chopped fruit to breakfast mixes. If you have spare muffin or pancake mix, try adding a 1/4 cup of fruit to the prepared mix before cooking to make delicious fruity pancakes and muffins for breakfast.
- Mix together beer, onion, lime juice, molasses, chili powder, tomatoes and salt and pepper in a large glass bowl.
- Add beef brisket to the bowl, and coat it well with the marinade. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. and allow it to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp. vegetable oil to pressure cooker. Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Place the meat in the pressure cooker, uncovered, and brown both sides.
- Pour marinade from the bowl into the pressure cooker, over the meat.
- Cover pressure cooker with lid and bring to high pressure. Cook for 1 to 2 hours.
- Allow brisket to sit for approximately 20 minutes before serving.
- Purchase a wagyu heifer, preferably a Japanese Black of the Tajima strain. This breed of cattle is the traditional source of Kobe beef.
- Put the heifer in a pen in your barn. This is where she will spend the majority of her time while she fattens up for slaughter.
- Feed your heifer a combination of corn, alfalfa, barley and wheat straw, gradually increasing the energy level of the feed mix until she is ready to slaughter at 36 months old.
- Massage your heifer regularly with oil for about 20 minutes. Traditionally, these massages take place only between May and October, and are thought to soften and better distribute the heifer’s subcutaneous fat.
- Feed your heifer a bottle of beer if she seems to have a reduced appetite. The beer will stimulate her digestive system, which may shut down due to her confinement.
Fruity Hawaiian Salad
- Drain the maraschino cherries and the canned mandarin oranges and pineapple tidbits, and cut the larger pieces of fruit in half. Place them in a large salad bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Stir the mini-marshmallows into the fruit mixture.
- Add the chopped walnuts and sour cream and stir the fruity Hawaiian sald until the ingredients are blended.
- Serve the fruity Hawaiian salad chilled.
Hawaiian Salad With Lettuce
- Drain the pineapple tidbits, and set aside 1 tablespoon of the juice.
- Combine the lettuce, cheese and drained pineapple in a large salad bowl.
- Mix the salad dressing or mayonnaise with the reserved pineapple juice and sugar in a small mixing bowl, and whisk it until it’s thoroughly combined.
- Pour the dressing over the lettuce mixture and toss until it’s well coated. Serve the salad immediately.
- Learn the harmonic minor scale. The harmonic minor scale is a minor scale with the seventh degree raised a half step. The notes in an A harmonic minor scale, for example, would be A, B, C, D, E, F and G#. This exotic-sounding scale can open many new musical paths.
- Play the harmonic minor scale, starting from the fifth note and ending on its octave. This is the Arabic scale. The Arabic scale derived from the A harmonic minor scale would read E F G# A B C D. To play this scale on a guitar, you would hit the open low E string, the first fret of the E string, the fourth fret of the open E string, the open A string, the second fret of the A string, the third fret of the A string, the open D string and end on the second fret of the D string (the octave of the root note).
- Transpose the scale to every key. Learning to play the Arabic scale in every key will make it much more useful. It is also helpful to learn to play it at as many different positions as possible.
- Practice playing the scale over different chords and chord progressions. The best way to master any scale is to use it in musical settings.
- Combine Splenda, flour and salt in a saucepan. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the milk and eggs with a whisk, until well blended. Stir milk and eggs into the sugar mixture until smooth.
- Set a stove burner to low heat and cook the mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pan from the heat and allowing it to cool. Be sure the mixture never comes to a boil.
- Stir in the half and half and the vanilla extract after the mixture cools. Pour into a 9-by-9 inch pan and cover it with plastic wrap and tin foil. Place the pan in the freezer for 3 to 4 hours, until it the ice cream is frozen, but still soft.
- Spoon the ice cream into a large bowl and beat it at medium speed until smooth. Return the ice cream to the pan and freeze until firm.
Are you asking what works on indented scars? Are old acne scars destroying your complexion and making you dislike showing your face in public? Old, pitted scars are sometimes considered the most depressing form of acne scars. You can now help pitted acne scarring with a amazing skin care cream that does not involve sanders or lasers.
Picture having a clean complexion void of acne inflammation and scarring. Ugly facial scars as a result from breakouts can be the core of painful psychological trauma. Acne inflammation damages collagen in the skin, leaving behind disfiguring cratered scars. These pimple scars resemble something like a chicken pox scar with steep walls which is why sometimes you hear the term ‘ice pick scars’, as if someone stabbed you in the cheek with a ice pick.
With the obvious emotional issues that come with this acne marks problem, finding the best acne scar removal cream is crucial. Many acne skin care treatments can reduce acne inflammation but they do not remove acne pits scars. People honestly want to know how to abate acne marks and spend lots of time searching for an acne moisturizer, damaged skin cream, or other care treatments. What they find are acne holes remedies that do not live up to their pledges.
Results in Acne Scarring
When people are burdened with pitted acne scars, a lot of people use dermal fillers to try to fill out the scar. There are a couple different kinds of dermal fillers that can vary from cow collagen to hyaluronic acid. The notion behind these injections is to add volume to skin components.
The injections do eventually lessen so you will need to go back for more treatments whenever the certain filler expires. This may seem a little strange but certain dermal fillers can be made from dangerous bacteria so one needs to think about the pros and cons of inserting harmful ingredients into their skin.
When you look for an acne scar removal home remedy, you will see some interesting choices. You can learn about people watering down apple cider vinegar and applying it on their faces, with the intention of reducing the reddish hue of acne scars. Now do you think that washing your face with vinegar will help you rejuvenate collagen and elastin component to fill in your ice pick scars? I am sure you know the answer to that.
Best Ice Pick Scars Treatment
Everyone knows it is hard, pimples at 30 and 40 can make anyone insane. Luckily for everyone, there is a biological acne scar treatment that can help you rejuvenate essential skin fibers. You can provoke the development of collagen and elastin and fill in ice pick scars with this acne scars fading cream.
When the pitted scar treatment is used on the affected area for a period of at least 2 months, it will fuse with your skin cells and remove acne marks by naturally filling in the scars.
The cream will work biologically and:
* Stimulate the biological skin growth factors inside your body.
* Improves cellular communication and abates scar tissue development in the skin. The skin’s innate recovery ability is restored. GlycoProteins contained in the cream enable cells to effectively attune activities between one another.
* Copper peptides found in the cream stimulate skin remodeling. Using the biological ingredient to depressed skin areas will start the influx of collagen and elastin fibers into the wound. New healthy skin cells are multiplied, giving off the appearance of clean skin in the area.
* Augment the development of more of the antimicrobial peptides that your skin usually emits to keep micro-organisms at bay. This can act as an ice pick scar prevention method.
- Prepare the fruit. Peel and core apples and cut into bite-sized chunks. Peel and slice bananas. Peel orange and separate into slices. Cut pineapple rings into bite-sized pieces. Cut grapes in half.
- Place the fruit into a large bowl and mix together.
- Sprinkle lemon juice on the fruit and stir to combine.
- Add chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired, or add miniature marshmallows.
- Refrigerate until well-chilled and serve.
- Prepare fruits as in Step 1.
- Add in chopped walnuts or pecans and miniature marshmallows.
- In a saucepan, combine the juice and rind of the lemon, lime and orange, beaten egg and sugar. Cook over low heat until thick. Allow to cool.
- Pour sauce over the prepared fruit in a large bowl and stir.
- Fold in whipped cream. Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- Make certain the crock is clean.
- In the crock dilute the sugar in the boiling water. Slice lemons in half, and squeeze a little of the juice into the crock. add the lemons into the sugar mixture.
- add yeast and fruit to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Place lid on crock and store is a cool dry place. (put something heavy on the lid to keep a tight seal)
- For a week, stir the mixture once a day.
- at the end of the week add the raisins and mix well. Let stand for 3 weeks. Keep weight on lid & do not stir during this time.
- Filter the brandy & put into clean glass bottles.
- Tropical flavors work as well for brunch-themed appetizers as they do for lunch and dinner. Lemon-almond mini muffins and mini bagels with pineapple cream cheese provide light treats. Mini brown sugar and banana waffle sandwiches with crumbled bacon provide rich and filling appetizers. Jerked chicken finger sandwiches on coconut rolls provide sweet and spicy snacks.
Fresh fruit dishes are easy and refreshing tropical appetizers for any event, especially a brunch where guests almost expect some sort of light fruit selection. Stacked pineapple, and watermelon slices on toothpicks create a unique light taste. Kiwi, coconut and strawberry fruit salad served in a half kiwi skin forms a mini fruit salad treat.
- Combine simple recipes and tropical flavors for easy appetizers with an exotic touch.
Celery sticks stuffed with a mixture of pre-cooked shrimp, cream cheese and cilantro provides a light and refreshing appetizer. Honey ham finger sandwiches with brown mustard and thin pineapple slices offer sweet and spicy flavors. Small balls of sticky white rice and shredded coconut create delicate tasting, but filling, appetizers.
Fresh pineapple, papaya and banana spears sprinkled with lemon juice provide an easy, light and tasty tropical appetizer. Mini almond muffins with chopped macadamia nuts are simple and flavorful treats. Large kiwi balls and strawberry slices on toothpicks add a tropical twist to a basic melon ball-style appetizer. Thin slices of star fruit with maraschino cherries in the middle provide a sweet snack with a floral appearance.
- Go all out with gourmet tropical appetizers if overall cost is of no concern. Coconut fried shrimp with mango salsa and twice-baked sweet potato wedges with chives provide appetizers with a balance of spicy and sweet flavors. Grilled pineapple and peppered chicken skewers with fresh lime provide a slightly sweet and tart appetizer. Pineapple salsa with toasted rice crackers provides a unique and healthy snack. Mini conch and crab fritters with Parmesan dipping sauce are popular treats, but far from healthy.
Mini cabbage rolls with crispy shredded pork, red onions and mango create flavorful chilled appetizers with a tropical theme. Precooked shrimp chilled in a red pepper, lime, chive and cilantro marinade have a refreshing flavor with a spicy edge. Pineapple and mango spears drizzled with raspberry vinaigrette dressing provide a light and healthy snack. Mini key lime pies add a little dessert flavor to the tropical appetizer selection.
- Clementines make a fantastic flavoring in baked goods. Clementine cake is a flourless cake that actually uses whole pureed clementines as the base. Alternatively, use clementine juice as a substitute for other citrus juice in a recipe or add some clementine zest to any batter to dress up the final dish. Add a spoonful to sugar cookies, chocolate or vanilla cake, or even chocolate chip cookies for a delightful twist. Save the juice of zested clementines to use for clementine sorbet or cocktails.
- Whole clementine slices can be candied to use in many desserts or served solo as a simple but elegant dessert. Slice the clementine into rounds, leaving the peel intact. Simmer in sugar water for about a half an hour or until the syrup is thick and the slices are translucent. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry, sprinkling with more sugar if desired. Save the sugar syrup to add a sweet clementine zip to soda water, iced tea or even mix it with maple syrup to serve on pancakes.
- Marmalade is an amazing use of extra clementines. It’s a great way to use up a bunch, it uses the entire fruit and it’s completely shelf stable. The best part is that marmalade makes a delectable addition to a host of desserts any time of year. Spread it plain between layers of cake or whip it into buttercream, mascarpone or ricotta for a burst of flavor in filled desserts. Use it in thumbprint cookies, mix it into ice cream or blend it with a little water to make a quick sauce for just about anything.
- Clementine juice can be used to make anything from clementine-infused margaritas to clementine tequila sunrises. Mix clementine juice with vodka and some reserved syrup from an earlier recipe or squeeze some clementine juice into your next mojito. For a nonalcoholic treat, blend a whole clementine, peel and all, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You may need to add some milk to thin it out, but there is something so classic about that citrus and vanilla blend. Get creative! Clementines have endless possibilities.
- If you’re using fresh fruit, freeze overnight. Freeze whipping cream, cream of coconut or tofu ahead of time, preferably overnight.
- For one or two servings, place into a blender:
1 cup frozen fresh fruit or 1 package frozen fruit or flavoring of your choice, chocolate syrup or vanilla bean (split lengthwise with a paring knife, remove seeds from the inside of the bean and add to the blender, discard pod)
1 cup heavy whipping or coconut cream or tofu, frozen
Superfine sugar (start with 1/4 cup and add more, if desired, to taste).
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Blend at high speed just until smooth and creamy. Pour into a freezer container and freeze for up to 2 hours or until texture is firmer. After about an hour, if you wish, you can stir in your favorite nuts, candy, sweetened coconut, mini chocolate chips or other ingredients, or 1 tbsp. of your favorite liqueur then freeze for about another hour or a little longer. Scoop it out and enjoy!
The Preference Question
- As with any woman looking to hit the dating scene, perhaps the first and most important question to answer is whom you are interested in dating. Your individual answer to this question will encompass a large range of topics such as sexual preference (gay, bisexual, straight), personality type, body type, profession, background and so on. Consider consulting a local relationship expert, searching for a dater’s survey guidebook at your local library or using a free online dating service when establishing your personal preferences.
The Parents Question
- Though often important for many daters, the issue of parental approval may be particularly tricky, depending upon your ethnic and religious background. For example, in more traditionally conservative Middle-Eastern cultures such as Jordan and Iran, parents — particularly fathers — may ask or even insist upon certain traditional courtship demands, such as adult accompaniment on any and all outings between his daughter and her suitor. Even if you decide the best “answer” to the parent question is an outright dismissal of outdated and traditional restrictions, you will still need to engage the issue prior to dating.
The Religion Question
- Though the Middle East is incredibly diverse in terms of religion, it is also an area of the world in which many religiously conservative cultures are located. For example, large conservative religious enclaves exist in Israel (Hasidic Judaism), Afghanistan (Taliban) and Turkey (Armenian Catholics) have extremely conservative doctrines relating to women’s behavior and even what women can and cannot wear, doctrines which could potentially affect who and how Middle-Eastern women date. Though all women are empowered to make personal decisions about who to date and how to date, the religion question could prove potentially problematic in a way quite similar to the parents question.
The Approach Question
- Since the advent of the Internet, interpersonal communication devices and programs have opened up a multitude of ways all women can approach dating. All women, including Middle-Eastern women, can choose to take an “old-fashioned” approach to meeting and dating, or they can opt for a more contemporary method, such as the utilization of an online dating service or some other social networking service (SNS). Given some conservative cultural elements, however, utilization of SNSes or other online dating services could be problematic. For example, in the early 2000s in Iran, several dozen young men and women were arrested for using online matchmaking services.
No longer simply a spread for bread, ham salad has moved from the sandwich list to the full meal deal. You can cut ham into strips, ground or dice it to combine with a variety of vegetables and fruits as well as tender salad greens. Move beyond mayonnaise and create your own ham salad dressings and vinaigrettes to celebrate textures and elevate flavors.
Choose Vibrant Colors
- Middle Eastern, Arabian and Indian decor typically draws inspiration from a vibrant color palette. When decorating a room in this style, you can choose both cool and warm tones, as long as they are rich and saturated shades. Deep blues and greens work well, as do purple and fuchsia shades. For warmer tones, opt for vibrant gold, orange and red. In a small room, using a dark shade on the walls can make the space feel smaller, so opt for a lighter shade of one of these tones and use the darker tones in accent pieces throughout the room. In a large space, you may opt to paint the walls a rich blue or wine color for maximum impact.
Decorate with Fabric
- Bold fabrics and textiles are an important feature in Middle Eastern and Indian decor and are an easy way to incorporate color and pattern into a room. Use tapestries to decorate walls; you can even use a colorful bed sheet if you cannot find a tapestry that matches your decor. Colorful scarves may also be draped over lampshades for a decorative look, and a Persian rug with a vibrant pattern can be used to center a seating area in a living room or dining room.
Use Authentic Lighting Fixtures
- To give your room an authentic feel, use Middle Eastern, Arabian or Indian-inspired fixtures to brighten the space. Look for lighting fixtures that are made of brass and feature intricate, carved details. There are several options, including sconces, pendant lights and table lamps. A Middle Eastern–style chandelier is an ideal option for above a dining room table or seating area in a living room. Multicolored hanging pendant lights can brighten a bedroom and add a decorative element as well. For a fun touch, opt for decorative lamps that mimic the look of traditional Middle Eastern oil lamps. Candlelight also complements this style of decor, so keep some candles on hand in your living room, dining room and bedroom for mood lighting.
- Middle Eastern decor often incorporates natural elements. Place potted plants throughout your room for added greenery and texture. Palm trees are ideal for placing in the corner of a room and work well in smaller rooms because they grow vertically. Lining a window sill with smaller, leafy plants can create an attractive look for a living room or dining room.
- Prep your ice cream churner by adding a few quarts of water to the wooden section to allow the wood to swell and form a tight seal. Sometimes after a few months of sitting unused, the wood will shrink. Let it sit while preparing the ingredients.
- Make your custard about 3 hours before before you plan on churning the ice cream, or the night before. It will need this time to chill thoroughly. Using a 2 qt. saucepan, heat the milk, salt and sugar until it just comes to a boil, stirring often with a wooden spoon. At the same time, in a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs until they are of uniform color. Turn off the heat under the milk and add about a 1/2 cup of the milk into the eggs, beating vigorously. Add two more batches of the hot milk to the eggs in 1/2 cup increments and then slowly whisk the whole bowl of eggs and milk into the milk pot. Turn on the heat for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add vanilla and pour into a pitcher to refrigerate.
- Assemble your hand crank ice cream maker by setting the inner container into the groove at the bottom of the barrel. Pour in your cold custard. Put the lid on and align the crank apparatus on top, locking it into position. Fill the sides with about 4 inches of ice, and then sprinkle a cup of rock salt over the ice evenly. Add another 4 inches of ice and another cup of salt and repeat. Don’t fill beyond the top of the ice cream container. Pour about 2 cups of water over the ice and start cranking.
- Crank the ice cream, adding ice if necessary, for about 20 to 25 minutes or until it is noticeably harder to crank. Take turns cranking as it will get tiring. After it firms up, remove the hand crank assembly, holding the lid of the ice cream on carefully to keep the salty brine out. Check to see if it is frozen. If it is, lift the ice cream container out of the brine and set in a sink or on a hard surface. Don’t place it on the lawn, as the salt will kill the grass. Uncover and lift out the blades, scraping them down as you lift them out. At this point the ice cream can be eaten if you desire a soft-serve consistency. For the old fashioned way, continue.
- Empty the ice cream maker barrel ice and brine into another large container. Place the ice cream container back into the barrel setting it into the small groove at the bottom. Pour the ice brine back over the container, adding more ice if necessary but making sure not to get it into the top hole. Allow the ice cream to cure for an hour or more. (This can also be done in your kitchen freezer.)
Sugar or Honey
- Sweetness balances the bitterness in lemons, so be careful of skimping on the sugar or honey in lemon recipes. If your lemon dish is still bitter after cooking, add sweetened whipped cream or ice cream to a dessert or 1 to 2 teaspoons of honey, syrup or sugar to a lemon sauce, marmalade, vinaigrette or other lemon dish.
Fats and Oils
- Fats of all types add richness to dishes and provide relief from the bitter flavors of lemons — you’ll be less aware of any bitterness. The butter in the shortbread of lemon bars, for example, offsets the powerful lemon flavor in the topping. So too, a topping of whipped cream to lemon desserts adds the richness of cream and well as sugar. Add a pat of butter to any lemon sauce or lemon risotto if the dish is too bitter.
- Complementary foods for lemons provide sweetness, fats or some other component that deepens the flavors of the tangy fruit and gives your taste buds more flavors to experience, directing attention away from lemon’s bitterness. Nuts, such as almonds, hazelnuts, pine nuts and walnuts, bring fats and flavor to any lemon dish, while herbs, including basil, mint, rosemary and thyme, have bitter notes of their own that effectively mute the bitterness of lemons.
Lemon Rind and Baking Soda
- You can experiment with recipes to reduce the bitterness of lemons. For example, if your recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon — the lemon flavor in your bread or cake may be less intense, but so will the bitterness. If a baked product with lemons contains only baking powder, experiment with adding 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda as well, which neutralizes acid, and bitterness, during cooking.
How To Make A Creamy Fruit Salad
- Open the six cans of fruit cocktail . Set a strainer over a large glass or bowl. Dump four of the cans of fruit cocktail into the strainer to remove the juice. The juice from these four cans can be saved for something else, or makes a great juice drink. There is usually someone waiting in my kitchen to gladly drink it!
- Put the four strained cans into a large bowl that has a lid. Add the two remaining cans, juice and all. Empty the 8-ounce container of sour cream into the bowl with the fruit and stir it together to mix in the sour cream.
- Scoop the 16-ounce container of whipped topping into the fruit mixture and stir thoroughly. Place the lid on the bowl and refrigerate it overnight. That’s it. You will have a delicious dessert to serve your family, or to take to a potluck. People will rave about how delicious it is, and it hardly took any time at all.
- The first counter service ice cream parlor was opened in 1903, originally called a soda shoppe or a soda fountain. Initially such places were opened at drugstores trying to lure in noontime business. They became an integral part of 1950s culture, especially with the popularity of the jukebox and its association with teenage “cool.” During Prohibition, people claimed that soda shoppes were the perfect antidote to alcohol.
- Ice cream parlor provides a family-friendly atmosphere to enjoy a treat. Several ice cream parlors also play on the history of soda shoppes in America by being decorated in a way that lends an antique feel to their establishments.
- There are dine-in ice cream parlors like Friendly’s, where you sit and can usually enjoy a meal with your ice cream, and there are window or fast-service parlors with little or no seating, where you eat your ice cream and go about your day rather than staying for an extended period of time.
- For a lot of Americans, ice cream parlors are a big part of the summer culture where young children are promised treats after sports games and families and friends, literally and figuratively, hang out at one of the coolest places in town.
- While Americans hold claim to the image of an ice cream parlor with its antique, marble-topped counter and spinning stools, ice cream shoppes had already been wildly popular in Italy (called gelato, of course, with some key differences from ice cream).
- Kobe beef is made from the Wagyu (literally “Japanese beef”) breed of cows, which are related to Northern European cows because of crossbreeding more than 2,000 years ago.
- Kobe beef is a tender, flavorful meat with extensive marbling. The fat has a melting point of 77 degrees, meaning that Kobe beef literally melts in your mouth, and will melt if overheated.
Kobe Beef Labeling
- Legally, in order to be labeled “Kobe beef” the meat must come from a Wagyu cow born, raised and slaughtered in the Hyogo prefecture.
Wagyu Beef Labeling
- In contrast, meat from a Wagyu cow can be labeled “Wagyu beef” regardless of how or where it was raised. Meat from Wagyu cows, sometimes crossbred with Angus cows, is often sold as “Kobe-style beef.”
- American Wagyu or “Kobe-style” beef costs about $100 per pound, about a third of genuine Kobe beef. As a result, it is a popular substitute both in the United States and in Japan.
Preparing the Meat
- Ground gyro meat, whether lamb, pork, beef or a combination, is mixed with seasonings including marjoram, oregano and rosemary for traditional Greek flavor. When thoroughly blended, the meat mixture should be refrigerated from 1 to 2 hours or overnight. Chill the blade and bowl of a food processor in the freezer while the meat is refrigerated. Puree the chilled meat in a food processor for about 1 minute, or until it is a paste.
Cooking and Slicing the Meat
- In the traditional Greek cooking style, large pieces of lamb or pork are sliced thin and layered horizontally on the vertical spool or skewer of a rotisserie and then cooked and sliced vertically into strips. Greek-American gyros’ pureed meat mixture is packed in a mound around the spool, cooked and sliced vertically before serving. By grilling gyro meat on a vertical rotisserie, the crispy outside meat is shaved off and the next layer is exposed to the heat to become the new crispy outer layer, thus achieving the gyro’s salty, crispy texture.
Serving the Gyro
- Gyros are distinctive for what is served with the grilled meat: chopped tomatoes, onions, feta cheese and a yogurt-based tzatziki sauce cradled in a soft, rich pita bread. Tzatziki sauce, the signature condiment of a gyro, is a cool, tangy blend of strained Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, lemon juice and mint in its traditional preparation; modifications include using sour cream or mayonnaise, dill and parsley. When serving, wrap a traditional gyro in aluminum foil and eat with your hands.
- Whether the meat is layered in the Greek tradition or mounded in the Greek-American style, cook gyro meat thoroughly to an internal temperature of 160 degree Fahrenheit. Many charcoal or gas grills include a rotisserie attachment, and you should follow the same safety guidelines for using a rotisserie as for grilling. Grills should be placed in a level location for safety and to ensure the rotisserie operates correctly. Place a fireproof material such as a sheet of metal or a patio protector under the rotisserie if it’s being used on a wooden deck. Don’t operate rotisserie grills in windy locations, and keep children and pets away from rotisserie grills when in use.
Wine, like lemons, contains an acid that gives it some sourness, allowing you to substitute it in a marinade to tenderize chicken or fish. But, you would never substitute wine for lemon juice in lemonade. Other acidic ingredients and liquids work in the same manner, becoming acceptable substitutes for lemon juice for some recipes, but not for others. Whether you have run out of lemon for lemon juice, or you just want to experiment, you have plenty of options for substitutions.
- Think about why you are interested in opening an ice cream franchise. Do you think about ice cream toppings constantly? Are you fascinated by ice cream machines. Do you simply want to serve your favorite brand of ice cream at your own branch of your favorite ice cream franchise? Think about your reasoning for wanting to open your own ice cream franchise.
- Decide which ice cream franchise you are interested in. The most famous ice cream franchise companies include Baskin Robbins, Ben & Jerry’s, and Coldstone Creamery. All of these ice cream franchises have different rules and regulations for opening a branch of their specific ice cream franchise. For instance, if you open a Ben & Jerry’s franchise you will have to follow different rules than if you open a Coldstone franchise. You should also consider opening a franchise of a local ice cream company.
- Research the economics of ice cream franchises. Depending on which ice cream franchise interests you and the location you want for your new ice cream franchise, you may need anywhere between $50,000 and $200,000 for start-up costs.
- Pick a prime location. The best locations for ice cream franchises are in areas with lots of foot traffic. For instance, an ice cream franchise in a large shopping center that includes a movie theater and several restaurants is likely to have successful ice cream sales, while an ice cream franchise on the side of the road with no parking or surrounding stores will be likely to fail.
- Apply to your preferred company to open an ice cream franchise. You will need to fill out all of their paperwork and prove to them that you have the capacity and the interest necessary to open a successful ice cream franchise.
- This style, originating in pre-Islamic Persia (modern-day Iran), is a form of wrestling consisting of a set of dance-like movements. Originally created in the 11th century BC as a combat style for Persian armies, it has over the centuries developed into a spiritual, moral and philosophical system that is said to convey a well-rounded representation of Iranian mores and values. The style utilized a pair of wooden clubs, a bow and a shield, all of which are generally used in individual training rather than in combat or sparring. It also uses a group of simple musical instruments which lead the participants in choreographed movements meant to help them tap into the spirituality of the sport.
- An Egyptian art originating nearly 4,000 years ago, Tahtib is the practice of choreographed mock fighting using 4-foot wooden sticks. It resembles Brazilian capoeira in that it is performed within a circle of onlookers to a rhythmic tune. The dance/fighters are accompanied by a bass drum and a high-pitched pipe, and they make wide circles and figure-eights over their heads with the stick as the tempo and pitch of the music escalate. The collisions of the opponents’ sticks are timed with the climax of the music. The goal of the game is to make contact with the opponent’s head, midsection or legs with the stick.
- Developed in the 1940s by Israeli paramilitaries, this hand-to-hand combat style is practiced as a violent and aggressive combination of self-defense and simultaneous offensive moves. It lacks the philosophical and spiritual element of many martial arts and is largely focused on violence. It has been adopted by many US police forces, counter-terrorism organizations and all sectors of the Israeli armed forces. It has also achieved worldwide popularity as a method of individual self-defense and fitness, as the training is a vigorous regimen of aerobic and anaerobic exercise.
Krav-Maga is a horizontal system that makes use of all sorts of common objects for defensive purposes. Instructors teach students throws and falls to all directions and angles, as well as the art of the attack and counterattack.
- Place the beef in a large bowl with 3 tbsp. of flour, 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp. of pepper. Use your hands to completely coat the beef in the flour mixture.
- Put large soup pot on stove. Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and turn the heat to medium high. While vegetable oil is heating, cut an onion in half with a sharp knife on a cutting board. Remove the skin and slice it into ¼-inch pieces.
- Hold your hand (palm-side down) about 6 inches over the pot and if you feel heat, the oil is ready. Add the beef and onion, stirring approximately every two minutes until both the beef and onion are brown.
- Use a sharp knife and cutting board to chop the sweet potato into 1 1/2-inch chunks while the beef and onions are browning. Add the potatoes to the pot when the beef and onions are done.
- Pour 1/2 cup of beef stock into the pot with 1/4 tsp. of ground allspice and stir everything together. Put a lid on the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Let it simmer for at least 2 hours or up to 8 hours, depending on how much time you have. Approximately 15 minutes before it’s done cooking, add peas or green beans and let them heat through for the last portion of the cooking time.
- Taste the stew and add more salt and pepper to your preference.
- Ladle stew over plates of prepared rice, mashed potatoes, biscuits or eat it by itself.
- The first thing to do is find fabric from a fabric or decoration store that you can hang from the ceiling or drape in doorways. Sheer see-through fabric works best for Arabian Nights parties.
Beyond fabric, tents are also worth looking into, and can work for both inside and outside parties. And around the party floor, it’s smart to have as many throw rugs, cushions or bean bag chairs as possible. Many households have a beanbag chair buried somewhere; ask your friends to round some up.
- To enhance the Arabian mood, there are two big guns you could pull out, depending on how expensive you want to go or how much of a mess you want to make. The first is sand, sprinkled liberally throughout the party area. The second is a smoke machine. Combined with tents, rugs, and beanbags, it creates a terrific “Arabian luxury” atmosphere. A much easier trick that does a lot to enhance the mood is to play Middle Eastern music, which you can find online or at any big music store.
- Pastel-colored fabric and décor and gold-colored props or fake rubies provide great accents. Dig up some old tacky jewelry or any fake gold. A cheap, effective option is to buy chocolate coins that come in gold-colored foil wrapping; sprinkle them throughout your food table or centerpieces.
Oil lamps, incense, and hookahs can get expensive but look quite authentic. Empty wine bottles or teapots decorated in gold paint can double as “magic lamps.” Hula hoops and arm bracelets can be found easily. And if it’s a party for kids, they’ll enjoy scimitar-shaped cardboard swords covered in foil or gold paint.
- 1 box classic devil’s food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- Half a gallon vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Step 1: Make the Boxed Cake Layers
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray, oil or softened butter; set aside.
Combine the cake box mix with the water, vegetable oil and eggs. Mix with a hand-held mixer or a whisk until batter is smooth. Evenly distribute the batter among your 2 prepared pans.
Bake the cakes for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in their pans for at least 10 minutes before flipping them both out onto a wire cooling rack. Let them cool completely; then, return the cakes to their pans and place in the freezer to chill for approximately 2 hours.
Step 2: Form the Ice Cream Layer
Meanwhile, place your ice cream out on the counter at room temperature to slightly soften, about 15 to 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can soften the ice cream by placing it in the refrigerator 30 minutes prior to when you want to use it
Line the inside of a 9-inch cake pan with a sheet of plastic wrap. Smooth out the ice cream in the pan until you’ve got an even layer. Place the pan of ice cream in the freezer to chill for 2 hours.
Step 3: Prepare the Frosting
With a stand mixer or hand-held mixer, whisk the heavy cream on high speed for 1 minute, until soft peaks form.
Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Step 4: Assemble the Cake
After the cake layers and ice cream layer have chilled, remove them from the freezer, and flip one of the cake layers onto a 10-inch cake board
Flip the ice cream layer out of the pan and onto the first cake layer; peel off the plastic wrap. Top with the remaining cake layer.
Apply the prepared frosting all over the sides and top of the cake using a rubber spatula or offset spatula, smoothing it out evenly across the entire exterior of the cake.
Grab hold of the cake board underneath to transfer the entire cake to a cake carrier. Place the carrier’s lid over the cake to cover, then return the cake to the freezer to chill. About 20 minutes prior to serving, place the cake out at room temperature to slightly thaw and soften
Storing the Cake
Ice cream cake should be stored in an airtight container in the freezer. A standard cake carrier will work just fine as a proper storage container. Cake should be frozen for no longer than 1 week. While it is not unsafe to eat the cake after this date, ice crystals have most likely formed over the ice cream layer by this point and it probably won’t be as enjoyable to eat.
- Select firm jicamas with unblemished skin. They should be free of bruises, and the roots should be dry and mold free. A well-chosen jicama will last two weeks in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
- Remove the brown skin from the jicama before you eat it, whether eating it raw or cooking it. While the skin in not consumable, the rest of the white flesh is delicious to eat.
- Substitute the jicama for water chestnuts in recipes. When cooked, the vegetable takes on the flavor of other foods while providing a nice texture compliment and is less expensive than water chestnuts. It’s a good addition to stir-fry dishes.
- Add raw jicama to fruit salads for an interesting flavor. Although it’s a vegetable, the flavor is similar to that of a pear or apple. Juicy and firm, the jicama does not brown when exposed to the air like traditional fruit. It also meshes well with seafood salads or slaws.
- Use jicama in its raw form in vegetable platters. Because it doesn’t brown, it’s visually appealing and the juicy, fruity flavor is a nice contrast when your usual vegetables.
- Marinate the raw jicama in bitter orange and top with chili powder. In Latin countries where the vegetable originates, this is the traditional way to serve and eat jicama.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine all fruit you’re using in your crumble in a medium sized mixing bowl. Stir in 2 to 4 tbsp. of granulated sugar depending on how sweet you want your crumble to be, 1 tbsp. flour, 1/8 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. orange zest and 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice to the fruit. Stir ingredients lightly with a wooden spoon.
- Combine 4 tbsp. flour, 4 tbsp. granulated sugar and 4 tbsp. of unsalted butter softened to room temperature in a small bowl. Stir together lightly and pinch the mixture together to form 1/4-inch diameter crumbles.
- Pour the fruit mixture into four individual oven-safe serving dishes. Top each dish with a quarter of the crumble mixture. Place in oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crumbles brown slightly and the fruit mixture bubbles up along the inside edges of the serving dishes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Prepare dishes ahead of time; cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Before serving, reheat at 300 degrees in the oven for eight minutes or in the microwave on medium-high power for two minutes.
- Educate yourself on what ice cream tasters do. They create new flavors, develop new products and perform quality assurance tests on existing inventory. They must know how to assess the best appearance, flavor and texture for developing or selecting a product and may serve as marketing representatives for their company.
- Earn a university degree with an emphasis on food science (dairy), business (product development) or chemistry. Include marketing courses in brand management in your studies.
- Work in a “scoop” shop. Hands-on experience in a small ice cream store offers practical knowledge about ice cream flavors and preservation, consumer preferences and operating a business. If you’re not from a family who owns a dairy business or farm, this is the next best thing.
- Find an apprenticeship with a professional at an ice cream manufacturing company. Wash the scoops, take notes, help with focus groups, check the freezer temperature. In short, do whatever it takes to immerse yourself in the ice cream-making environment.
- Care for your palate. Your taste buds, tongue and mouth must all be healthy and free of flavors. Keep your immune system strong and avoid eating spicy or foods with pungent odors. Your capacity for taste must be objective.
Prepare the Ice Cream Maker
- Choose your favorite ice cream recipe.
- Let the ice cream mix cool down in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
- Pour the ice cream mix in the metal freezer can of the ice cream maker. Don’t fill it more than 2/3 full.
- Put the paddle, also called a dasher, into the ice cream can and close the lid on it.
- Place the freezer can in the ice cream maker bucket.
- Attach the turning mechanism and handle. Make sure everything is securely locked inside the bucket. Make sure the lid is attached firmly so water can’t get in.
- Pack the area between the freezer can and the bucket with ice and rock salt. Add a 3- or 4-inch layer of ice and on top of this pour a layer of salt, at least a few handfuls. Repeat the layering until you get a little under the level of the freezer can’s lid. Don’t go above the lid.
Make the Ice Cream
- Start cranking the ice cream. It’s best to have a number of people do this in shifts, as it gets tiring. If the ice melts add some more to the bucket. You want to keep the level near the freezer can lid.
- Stop cranking when it become difficult. It will take at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the turning mechanism and lid and check the ice cream. It’s done when it looks like soft-serve ice cream and has gained volume.
- Harden the ice cream. Remove the turning mechanism, lid and dasher. Then either remove the freezer can and put it in a freezer, scoop out the ice cream and put it in a resealable container to store in a freezer, or leave it in the bucket with the lid on and put ice on top of the freezer can.
- Enjoy the homemade ice cream.